求职宝典-如何回答,你期望的薪资是多少?SalaryExpectations

晓丝英语 2024-04-04 07:26:58

面试到最后阶段,面试官会问一个敏感又关键的问题:“你期望的薪资是多少?”这个关系到自己切身利益的问题,往往让求职者觉得不太好回答。说低了吧,觉得自己吃亏,说高了吧,又会让面试官觉得不切实际。怎么样是一个适合自己的、好的回答?

At some point in a job interview you're probably going to be asked how much money you'd like to be paid.

在面试的某个环节,你可能会被问到预期薪资。

You know the question.

你懂的。

"So, what are your salary expectations?"

“那么,你期望的薪资是多少?”

This is a tough one.

这是一个棘手的问题。

It's hard to know the right way to answer.

我们很难知道如何正确地回答。

But your starting salary is often the basis for all future compensation decisions at that company, such as raises and bonuses.

但你的起薪一般是在那家公司未来所有薪资的基础,比如加薪和奖金。

So you want to get it as high as you can.

所以你想要定得越高越好。

Though, aim too high and you might just price yourself out of a job.

不过,如果定得太高,你可能会因为出价太高而失去这份工作。

So what do you do?

那该怎么办呢?

Luckily, there are smart ways to answer or not answer this question.

幸运的是,有聪明的方式来回答或者规避这个问题。

I'm going to show you how to be ready for this point in the interview, so you can maximize your pay without minimizing your chances of getting the job.

我将告诉你如何为面试的这一环节做好准备,这样你就可以最大化你的报酬,又不会降低你获得工作的机会。

Why do they even ask this question?

他们为什么要问这个问题?

Let's start here, because knowing why hiring managers and recruiters ask this question can help you think about what you want to say in response.

让我们从这个问题开始,因为清楚招聘经理和招聘人员提出这个问题的原因,可以帮助你思考如何回应。

In spite of how it might feel, the question isn't designed to trick you into letting them underpay you if you come in low.

不管它给人的感觉如何,这个问题的目的并不是要诱使你以低价接受工作,拿过低的报酬。

As author and career development expert Vicky Oliver explains, "Every position is budgeted."

正如作家和职业发展专家维姬·奥利弗所说,每个职位都有预算。

And typically hiring managers or recruiters want to be sure they can afford you.

一般来说,招聘经理或招聘人员想确定他们是否雇得起你。

It's in their best interest not to waste their time or yours, going through multiple rounds of interviews and putting together an offer if they just can't meet your salary expectations.

对于他们来说,最好的选择是节省彼此的时间,如果他们无法满足你的薪资期望,就不需要进行多轮面试,给你工作的机会。

And from the candidate's perspective, answering the question can help ensure that the opportunity is a good fit for you.

从候选人的角度来看,回答这个问题可以帮你确认这个岗位是否适合你。

You want to know that there's mutual understanding about the salary and benefits being offered.

你想要知道双方对于提供的工资和福利是否能达成共识。

It can also help establish a baseline for your negotiations later on in the hiring process.

这也有助于你日后在招聘过程中建立谈判的基础。

OK, with that in mind, here are some ways to deal with the question.

那么,考虑到这一点,接下来是处理这个问题的一些方法。

Strategy number one, redirect the conversation.

策略一,转移话题。

The first strategy is to basically avoid answering directly.

总的来说,第一个策略就是避免直接回答。

There are lots of reasons why you may not want to answer.

你可能有很多不想回答的理由。

Maybe, for example, you suspect you've been underpaid in the past,

比如说,你可能怀疑自己以前得到的报酬过低,and anchoring with your previous or current salary would work against you.不利于你向过去或现在的薪水看齐。

Here's a useful tip.

这儿有一个实用的建议。

There's no law that says you have to give a number.

没有法律规定你必须给出一个数字。

On the contrary, there are many laws in many US states that make it illegal for employers to ask for a specific number when it comes to your pay history.

相反,美国许多州的很多法律都规定在谈到你过去的工资时,雇主要求你提供具体的数字是违法行为。

In many places, they can't ask you "what was your previous salary?"

在很多地方,他们不能问你“你以前的工资是多少?”

Make sure to research what the situation is where you are.

所以一定要研究一下你所处地区是什么情况。

It can be smart to protect your own interests by not giving a specific number until you have a job offer in hand.

保护自己利益的机智方法是在拿到入职邀请前不要给出具体的数字。

As career strategist John Lees says, "The time to discuss salary is after they've fallen in love with you."

正如职业规划师约翰·李所说,“讨论薪水的时机是在他们欣赏你之后。”

Here are two ways to redirect the conversation without making it too awkward.

以下两种方法可以转变话题,又不会使谈话变得太尴尬。

First, turn the question around and ask about their budget.

首先,把话题抛回去,反问他们的预算。

Finance expert Tori Dunlap's advice is to respond with something along the lines of, "I actually don't understand the full scope of the role at this point to accurately price myself, but I would love to know the budgeted salary range."

金融专家托里·邓拉普的建议是像这样回答:“事实上,我现在还不能完全了解这个职位,不能准确地给自己定价,但我很想知道工资的预算范围。”

If the interviewer is forthcoming about their budget, they'll likely want to know whether that meets your expectations.

如果面试官对他们的预算直言不讳,他们可能想知道这是否符合你的预期。

It's OK to be vague at this point and say, "That's helpful to know.

此时在这一点上可以含糊地说,“知道你们的预算是很有帮助的。

If you were to offer me the job, is there room to negotiate?"

如果你提供这份工作给我,我们是否还有谈判的空间?”

There's a second option.

还有第二个方式。

Move past the question and go back to your qualifications.

跳过这个问题,回到你的资历上来。

You could say something like, "I'm still trying to fully understand the role and what's involved. I'd love to continue talking about my qualifications and why I think I'm a fit for this position."

你可以这样说,“我还在尝试充分了解这个岗位以及工作内容。我想继续谈谈我的资历,以及我为什么认为我适合这个职位。”

Or you might say, "That's not something I'm comfortable answering, but I'm happy to talk about my qualifications for this role."

或者你也可以说,“我不太方便回答这个问题,但我很愿意谈谈我可以胜任这份岗位的资历。"

There's no doubt that these responses can feel like you're dodging the question, and that may be uncomfortable.

毫无疑问,这些回答会让人觉得你在逃避问题,这可能会有些不舒服。

But given the stakes, the small moment of awkwardness is likely worth it.

但考虑到利害关系,短暂的尴尬可能还是值得的。

Strategy number two, offer a salary range.

策略二,提供一个薪酬范围。

If you feel like you have enough information to answer the question, or perhaps your attempts to deflect haven't worked and they're pressing you for a response, consider giving a range instead of a single number.

如果你觉得你有足够的信息来回答这个问题,或者你试图转移话题没有奏效,他们又在催促你回答,考虑说一个范围,而不是一个具体数字。

To go this route, you'll need to do research before your interview, so you have a realistic idea of the typical salary range for the role.

用这个方法的话,你需要在面试前做一些调查,这样你就对这个职位的普遍薪资范围有一个充分了解。

In some places, employers are required to include a salary range on the job posting, in which case you can compare your experience and qualifications with the job description to determine where in that range you might fit.

有些地方要求雇主在招聘启事上注明工资范围,在这种情况下,你可以将你的资历与职位描述相比较,确定可能适合你的薪资范围。

If you're working with a recruiter, external or internal, you can request the salary range from them directly.

如果你和招聘人员共事,无论是公司外部的还是内部的,你可以直接向他们询问工资范围。

If you do your own research, start with sites like Glassdoor and Salary.com.

如果你是自己做调查,可以从Glassdoor和Salary.com这类网站查询。

This will help you understand what a fair salary might be for the position, so that you can choose a minimum salary that you're not willing to go below.

这会帮助你了解这个职位的合理工资,这样你就可以选择一个你意愿范围内的最低工资。

That number isn't something you need to share while interviewing, but it's good to have it in the back of your mind for when it is time to negotiate.

在面试时不一样要说出这个数字,但是在谈判的时候,做到心中有数是很有利的。

Even with reputable sources though, it can be hard to translate average salaries across geographies or to the specific role.

即使有可靠的消息来源,换算不同地区或特定职位的平均工资还是很困难的。

It's reasonable to think there might be a big difference between what a data scientist in Tampa and a data mining engineer in Oakland make, for example.

例如,我们有理由认为坦帕的数据科学家和奥克兰的数据分析工程师的收入可能会有很大的不同。

Another option is to ask people in your network, people with similar roles in your industry or who maybe even work at the company you're interviewing with.

另一个选择是询问你的朋友,在行业中担任类似职位的人,甚至可能在这家面试的公司工作的人。

Of course, talking about money can be awkward, but tackling a cringey conversation will be worthwhile if it helps you know how to value yourself.

当然,谈论钱可能有点尴尬,但如果它能帮助你了解如何估算自己的价值,应对一场尴尬的谈话还是值得的。

Whatever you find in your research, be careful not to get fixated on a specific figure

无论你在研究中发现什么,注意不要执着于一个具体的数字。

That can end up with you being unhappy with the final number or even accepting a lower salary than you might have gotten otherwise.

这可能会让你对最终的薪资感到不满意,甚至接受比你本来可以得到的更低的薪资。

So what kind of range should you give?

那么你应该给出什么样的范围呢?

That will depend on a bunch of factors, like how accurate you feel your research is, the industry you're interviewing in, et cetera.

这取决于很多因素,比如你觉得你的研究有多准确,你所面试的行业等等。

Typically, it spreads across tens of thousands of dollars.

通常情况下,薪资范围会延伸至数万美元。

So say $80,000 to $120,000.

比如8万到12万美金。

Don't give too narrow a range, but it shouldn't be ridiculously big either.

给出的范围不要太小,但也不能大得离谱。

Once you've landed on a range you're comfortable with, here's how to share it in your interview.

一旦你确定了满意的范围,以下是如何在面试中分享的方法。

State your range and provide a rationale for why you've landed there.

陈述你的薪资范围并提供理由说明你为什么选择这个范围。

Sharing some of your research and noting the skills and experience that will make you a good fit for the position.

分享一些你的研究结果,并指出你能胜任这个职位的技能和经验。

Acknowledge that salary is just one of the factors that will play in your decision to accept the job or not.

承认薪水只是决定你是否接受这份工作的要素之一。

Make clear that you're interested in knowing more about other benefits as well.

明确表示你对其他福利也很感兴趣。

And signal flexibility, so that your answer doesn't come off as a demand but as the beginning of a conversation.

展示出你的弹性,这样你的回答就不会让人觉得你是在要求,而是在开启一段谈话。

Express your enthusiasm about potentially joining the company.

展现你对加入公司的热情。

Here are three examples of how this might sound.

这儿有三个如何分享薪资范围的示例。

Here's sample answer number one.

这是第一个例子。

"I'm looking for a competitive salary that reflects my qualifications and experience.

“我想要一份能反映我的能力和经验且有竞争力的薪水。

Based on my research and the requirements of the role as I understand them, I would expect a salary in the range of $75,000 to $100,000.

根据我对这个职业的研究和要求,我会期望薪水在7.5万美元到10万美元之间。

Of course, I'm open to discussing the details of the entire compensation package, since salary is just one factor.

当然,我愿意讨论整个薪酬方案的细节,薪水只是其中一个因素。

I'm particularly excited to learn more about the opportunities for growth and advancement here."

我尤其想多了解在贵公司成长和晋升的机会。”

Here's sample number two.

这是第二个例子。

"Given my experience and expertise, I'm looking to make between $60,000 and $90,000 in my next role.

“以我的经验和专长,我希望下一份工作的收入在6万到9万美元之间。

I've done some research on similar roles and talked to people in comparable organizations, all of which helped me confirm that range.

我对类似的职位做了一些研究,也与类似机构的人交流过,这些信息都帮助我确认这个薪资在合理范畴。

I know I'd be a valuable asset to your team and am open to learning more about your budget for the role and the other benefits that you offer employees."

我相信我会成为贵公司团队中重要的一员,我愿意了解更多关于这个职位的预算和为员工提供的其他福利。

And here's sample number three.

这是第三个例子。

"I've been doing some research on similar roles and my understanding is that, for someone at my level, with my background and experience, I can expect to make a salary in the range of $100,000 to $125,000.

“我一直在研究相关的职位,我的理解是,以我的背景和经验,我预计薪资会在10万到12.5万美元之间。

Of course, compensation isn't the only thing that's important to me.

当然,对我来说,报酬并不是唯一重要的考虑因素。

So I'm eager to hear more about your benefits package, including paid time off and other perks.

所以我很想多听听你们的福利待遇,包括带薪休假和其他津贴。

What's most important to me is finding a place where I can thrive.

对我来说最重要的是,找到一个能让我成长和发展的地方。

I can be flexible around the exact numbers for a job that's a great fit."

对于一份非常适合我的工作,我可以灵活地调整具体的薪资。”

Choose whichever option feels most comfortable to you and tweak the language so that it sounds like you.

选择任何一个你觉得最贴切的例子,并调整语言,使其听起来像你自己。

You'll also want to add some specific details about your qualifications, so that you can highlight again why you're a fit for the role and they should be excited about hiring you.

你也可以添加一些具体的细节来证明你的资格,这样你就可以再次强调你适合这个职位的原因,以及他们为什么应该对雇佣你感兴趣。

Whether and how you answer the question is up to you, of course.

当然,回答薪资问题的方式和选择取决于你自己。

By following the guidelines I've shared, you'll be able to assess which approach feels most comfortable to you and is most likely to keep you in the running for the job.

遵循我分享的方法,你能够判断出哪种方法让你最舒服,最有可能让你获得一份工作。

Importantly, you'll also have some tools to help make this potentially awkward part of the interview, well, less awkward.

重要的是,你也会掌握一些方法来帮助你把这个潜在的尴尬面试环节变得,呃,不那么尴尬。

Good luck.

祝你好运。

You got this.

你能行的。

New Words and Expressions 生词和短语

interview noun [ C ] UK

/ˈɪn.tə.vjuː/

B1

a meeting in which someone asks you questions to see if you are suitable for a job or course

面试;面谈

a job interview求职面试

I had an interview for a job with a publisher.我参加了一家出版公司的求职面试。

B1

a meeting in which someone answers questions about himself or herself for a newspaper article, television show, etc.

采访

an exclusive interview with Johnny Depp 对约翰尼·德普的独家采访

In a television interview last night she denied she had any intention of resigning. 在昨晚的电视采访中,她否认有辞职的打算。

probably adverb UK

/ˈprɒb.ə.bli/

used to mean that something is very likely

很可能;大概

I'll probably be home by midnight.我很可能半夜到家。

I'm probably going - it depends on the weather.我很可能会去——这要看天气怎么样。

He probably didn't even notice.他很可能都没有觉察到。

Probably the best thing to do is to call them before you go.可能最好还是在你走之前给他们打个电话。

expectation noun UK

/ˌek.spekˈteɪ.ʃən/

the feeling that good things are going to happen in the future

期盼;盼望;希望

The holiday lived up to all our expectations (= was as good as we were expecting).假期过得一点也没有让我们失望。

I have high expectations for this job (= I believe it will be good).我对这份工作的期望值很高。

We did so well - beyond all (= better than) our expectations.我们做得非常好——远远超过了我们的预期。

I think she had unrealistic expectations of motherhood.我觉得她对做妈妈的憧憬有些不切实际。

tough adjective UK

/tʌf/

B2

strong; not easily broken or made weaker or defeated

结实的;坚固的;坚强的

These toys are made from tough plastic.这些玩具是由结实的塑料制成的。

Children's shoes need to be tough.童鞋必须结实。

You have to be tough to be successful in politics.要在政界取得成功就必须坚强。

informal Their lawyer is a real tough customer/nut (= person).他们的律师真是很有主见。

B2

difficult to do or to deal with

困难的;棘手的

They've had an exceptionally tough life.他们的一生异常艰苦。

They will be a tough team to beat.他们会是一支很难战胜的队伍。

The company is going through a tough time at the moment.公司现在正值困难时期。

We've had to make some very tough decisions.我们不得不作出了一些很艰难的决定。

My boss has given me a tough job/assignment.我的老板给了我一个棘手的活儿/任务。

Many homeless people are facing a tough winter.许多无家可归者正面临严冬的考验。

compensation noun UK

/ˌkɒm.penˈseɪ.ʃən/

[ U ]

money that is paid to someone in exchange for something that has been lost or damaged or for some problem

赔偿金;补偿金

She received £40,000 in compensation for a lost eye.她得到4万英镑,作为对失去一只眼睛的赔偿。

You should claim/seek compensation.你应该要求赔偿。

a compensation claim 索赔要求

compensation noun (JOB PAYMENT) [ U ]

the combination of money and other benefits (= rewards) that an employee receives for doing their job

报酬(雇员获得的金钱和其他福利的总和)

Annual compensation for our executives includes salary and bonus under our incentive plan. 我们的高级管理人员获得的年度报酬包括工资以及按奖励计划发放的奖金。

raise verb [ T ] UK

/reɪz/

B1

to lift something to a higher position

举起;抬起;提起

Would all those in favour please raise their hands?赞成的人请举手好吗?

He raised the window and leaned out.他把窗户推上去后探出身子。

Mary Quant was the first fashion designer to raise hemlines.玛丽.匡特是第一个把裙子裁短的时装设计师。

noun [ C ] UK /reɪz/

(UK rise)

an increase in the amount that you are paid for the work you do 加薪

She asked the boss for a raise.她要求老板给她加薪。

bonus noun [ C ] UK

/ˈbəʊ.nəs/

an extra amount of money that is given to you as a present or reward for good work as well as the money you were expecting

奖金;红利;津贴

a productivity bonus生产效益奖金

a Christmas bonus圣诞节奖金

The company used to give discretionary bonus payments.公司过去常常会酌情发放一些奖金。

maximize verb [ T ] (UK usually maximise)

UK

/ˈmæk.sɪ.maɪz/

to make something as great in amount, size, or importance as possible

使最大化;使最重要

Some airlines have cancelled less popular routes in an effort to maximize profits. 一些航空公司取消了不太受欢迎的航线以使利润最大化。

minimize verb [ T ] (UK usually minimise)

UK

/ˈmɪn.ɪ.maɪz/

to reduce something to the least possible level or amount

使降到最低限度;使减到最少

We must minimize the risk of infection.我们必须将感染的风险降到最低。

Environmentalists are doing everything within their power to minimize the impact of the oil spill.环境保护主义者正竭尽所能把石油外溢造成的影响减少到最低限度。

recruiter noun [ C ] UK

/rɪˈkruː.tər/

a person who persuades people to work for a company or become new members of an organization, especially the army

(尤指)征兵人员;招募人员

He worked as a military recruiter in Texas.他在德克萨斯州担任征兵工作。

Recruiters target colleges and military bases in the region.招聘人员针对该地区的大学和军事基地进行招聘。

response noun UK

/rɪˈspɒns/

an answer or reaction

回答; 回应,反应

Responses to our advertisement have been disappointing.人们对我们广告的反应令人失望。

Her proposals met with an enthusiastic response.她的提议得到热烈的响应。

I looked in her face for some response, but she just stared at me blankly.我盯着她的脸看,想知道她有何反应,但是她只是面无表情地盯着我。

Management have granted a ten percent pay rise in response to union pressure.面对工会的压力,资方以加薪10%应对。

trick noun [ C ] UK

/trɪk/

B1

an action that is intended to deceive, either as a way of cheating someone, or as a joke or form of entertainment

骗局;诡计;恶作剧

She played a really nasty trick on me - she put syrup in my shampoo bottle!她对我搞了一个很讨厌的恶作剧——把糖浆放进了我装洗发剂的瓶子里。

My niece was showing me all the tricks that she's learned to do with her new magic set.我侄女给我表演了她学过的用她那套新魔术道具所能变出的所有戏法。

It's trick photography - she's supposed to look like she's walking on water.这有点儿特技摄影的样子——她想要看上去像在水上行走一般。

verb [ T ]

UK

/trɪk/

B2

to deceive someone, often as a part of a plan 欺骗,诱骗,哄骗

Dean tricked the old lady into giving him eight hundred dollars. 迪安骗这个老妇人给了他800美元。

underpay verb [ T ] UK

/ˌʌn.dəˈpeɪ/

to pay someone too little for the work they do

给…的报酬过低

budget noun UK

/ˈbʌdʒ.ɪt/

a plan to show how much money a person or organization will earn and how much they will need or be able to spend 预算

The firm has drawn up a budget for the coming financial year. 公司草拟了下一财政年度的预算方案。

Libraries are finding it increasingly difficult to remain within (their) budget. 图书馆感到想把支出维持在预算之内越来越难。

B2 [ C ]

the amount of money you have available to spend

预算费

an annual budget of £40 million 每年4000万英镑的预算

perspective noun UK

/pəˈspek.tɪv/

a particular way of considering something

(思考问题的)角度,观点,想法

Her attitude lends a fresh perspective to the subject.她的态度为这一问题提供了新的视角。

He writes from a Marxist perspective.他从一个马克思主义者的视角进行写作。

Because of its geographical position, Germany's perspective on the situation in Russia is very different from Washington's.由于地理位置不同,德国对俄罗斯局势的看法与华盛顿大相径庭。

deflect verb [ I or T ] UK

/dɪˈflekt/

to (cause to) change direction, or to prevent something from being directed at you

(使)转向,(使)偏斜

The ball deflected off my shoulder, straight into the goal.球打在我的肩膀上反弹进了球门。

The crowd cheered as the goalkeeper deflected the shot.当守门员把球挡出去的时候人们欢呼了起来。

He deflected the ball away from the goal.他把球挡出了球门。

The prime minister deflected mounting criticism today by announcing tax cuts.今天首相宣布减税,从而平息了越来越多的批评声音。

ridiculously adverb UK

/rɪˈdɪk.jə.ləs.li/

in a way that is stupid or unreasonable and deserves to be laughed at

愚蠢的;荒唐的;可笑的

Hotel rooms in the city are ridiculously overpriced.这个城市的酒店房间价格高得离谱。

She has ridiculously high standards.她的标准高得离谱。

rationale noun [ C or U ] formal

UK

/ˌræʃ.əˈnɑːl/

the reasons or intentions that cause a particular set of beliefs or actions

根本原因;基本原理

I don't understand the rationale for these restrictions. 我无法理解这些限制。

He tried to explain the scientific rationale behind his work.他尝试解释他工作背后的科学原理。

flexibility noun [ U ] UK

/ˌflek.səˈbɪl.ə.ti/

flexibility noun [U] (ABLE TO CHANGE)

Add to word list

B2

the ability to change or be changed easily according to the situation

可变动性;灵活性;可变通性

The advantage of this system is its flexibility.这个系统的优势在于其灵活性。

The schedule doesn't allow much flexibility. 时间表不允许有太大的灵活性。

benefit noun US

UK

/ˈben.ɪ.fɪt/

benefit noun (ADVANTAGE)

B1 [ C or U ]

a helpful or good effect, or something intended to help

利益,好处;优势

The discovery of oil brought many benefits to the town. 石油的发现给该镇带来很多利益。

One of the many benefits of foreign travel is learning how to cope with the unexpected. 学会如何应付突发事件是海外旅游的众多益处之一。

He's had the benefit of an expensive education and yet he continues to work as a waiter. 他接受过昂贵的教育,但却继续做一名服务员。

I didn't get/derive (much) benefit from school.

potentially adverb UK

/pəˈten.ʃəl.i/

possibly

潜在地;可能地

Hepatitis is a potentially fatal disease. 肝炎是可能致命的疾病。

This crisis is potentially the most serious in the organization's history. 这场危机可能是该组织历史上最严重的一次。我没从学校学到(多少)东西。

0 阅读:0

晓丝英语

简介:感谢大家的关注