What's up sunshine, I'm Coy Wire.
阳光怎么样,我是 Coy Wire。
It's March 6th and it's #YourWordWednesday.
今天是 3 月 6 日,#YourWordWednesday。
So listen up to see if your word was selected to broaden our vocabulary and make it into today's show.
因此,请听听,看看您的单词是否被选择来扩大我们的词汇量并使其进入今天的节目。
We start with news about pollution on and around our planet.
我们从有关地球及其周围污染的新闻开始。
According to a new report by the international energy agency, global pollution from energy sources like coal, oil, and natural gas hit record high levels last year with emissions rising more than 1% across the world.
国际能源机构的一份新报告显示,去年煤炭、石油和天然气等能源造成的全球污染创下历史新高, 全球排放量增长超过 1%。
One factor contributing to this increase was extreme droughts that restricted hydro power production in some countries, which in turn increased reliance on fossil fuels.
造成这一增长的一个因素是极端干旱限制了一些国家的水力发电,进而增加了对化石燃料的依赖。
It's not all bad news, according to the report, U.S. expansion of clean energy sources cut emissions in the country by a little more than 4%, while European Union's energy emissions fell by almost 9%.
报告称,这也不全是坏消息,美国清洁能源的扩张使该国的排放量减少了4%多一点,而欧盟的能源排放量下降了近9%。
And China made massive gains in its solar and wind power use as well.
中国在太阳能和风能的利用方面也取得了巨大的进步。
But scientists say pollution levels need to be cut further to help hold companies accountable for any egregious pollution levels and to quantify their contribution to global warming.
但科学家表示,需要进一步降低污染水平,以帮助企业对任何严重的污染水平负责,并量化它们对全球变暖的影响。
A U.S.-based nonprofit, environmental defense fund launched a new satellite that locates and measures methane leaks.
美国一家非营利性环境保护基金发射了一颗新卫星,用于定位和测量甲烷泄漏。
CNN's Bill Weir has more.
美国有线电视新闻网 (CNN) 的比尔·威尔 (Bill Weir) 有更多报道。
3, 2, 1 ignition and liftoff, Falcon 9.
3、2、1 点火和升空,猎鹰 9。
Paid for by the likes of billionaire Jeff Bezos and other donors.
由亿万富翁杰夫·贝索斯和其他捐助者等人支付。
The nonprofit Environmental Defense Fund just launched a new kind of eye in the Sky.
非营利组织环境保护基金会刚刚推出了一种新型的“天空之眼”。
MethaneSAT is designed to circle the Earth every 95 minutes or so.
甲烷卫星设计为每 95 分钟左右绕地球一圈。
And with cutting-edge detail, spot plumes and leaks of planet cooking pollution long associated with the production of natural gas.
并通过尖端的细节,发现长期以来与天然气生产相关的地球烹饪污染的羽流和泄漏。
If carbon dioxide is a blanket of average thickness over heating the earth for centuries, methane is like a blanket seven feet thick with over 80 times the heat-trapping power of CO2 for about two decades after its release.
如果二氧化碳是一个平均厚度的毯子, 可以使地球加热几个世纪,那么甲烷就像一个七英尺厚的毯子, 在释放后的大约二十年里其吸热能力是二氧化碳的 80 倍以上。
Sometimes it leaks from old equipment or orphaned wells.
有时,它会从旧设备或废弃井中泄漏。
And sometimes, when there's no one to buy it, companies just burn it in a practice known as flaring.
有时,当没有人购买时,公司就会以一种称为燃烧的做法将其燃烧。
What we found here in the Permian Basin is that operators are wasting enough gas to heat about 2 million homes a year.
我们在二叠纪盆地发现,运营商每年浪费的天然气足以为大约 200 万户家庭供暖。
In 2021, EDF took us up over the oil and gas fields of Texas to sniff out methane leakers with a specially-equipped airplane.
2021 年,法国电力公司带我们飞越德克萨斯州的石油和天然气田,用一架特制飞机嗅出甲烷泄漏者。
So this is carbon dioxide down here and this is methane.
所以这里是二氧化碳,这是甲烷。
But now they can fly over every oil and gas basin in the world where 80% of global supplies are fracked and pumped.
但现在它们可以飞越世界上每一个石油和天然气盆地,全球 80% 的供应都是通过水力压裂和泵送的。
We can basically create a movie of what's going on with respect to methane emissions.
我们基本上可以制作一部有关甲烷排放情况的电影。
Before we could just take snapshots when we had a plane in the air and we can get permission to fly.
以前,当我们有一架飞机在空中并且可以获得飞行许可时,我们只能拍快照。
This is a whole new game.
这是一个全新的游戏。
It really creates an enormous leap forward in our ability to really understand greenhouse gas emissions.
它确实使我们真正了解温室气体排放的能力实现了巨大飞跃。
While other satellites can spot methane, what they find is often kept private but EDF says that in about 18 months their data will be open and free on Google Earth Engine for anyone to see.
虽然其他卫星可以发现甲烷,但他们发现的内容通常保密, 但 EDF 表示, 大约 18 个月后, 他们的数据将在 Google Earth Engine 上免费开放, 供任何人查看。
You just have a real clarity now, a clarity we've never had before.
你现在有了真正的清晰度,我们以前从未有过的清晰度。
And I think people realize you don't have to accept what somebody says, whether that's a government or a company, you can actually directly look at it, see what it is.
我认为人们意识到你不必接受某人所说的话, 无论是政府还是公司,你实际上可以直接观察它, 看看它是什么。
And that is completely different than anything we've ever had for greenhouse gases.
这与我们所经历过的温室气体排放完全不同。
What I referred to as we're going to have radical transparency.
我所说的我们将拥有彻底的透明度。
And what has been the response from the oil and gas companies that you're doing this?
石油和天然气公司对你们这样做有何反应?
Well, I think many of the companies see this as a real opportunity because they really do believe and I suspect that they're doing a good job, but many of them aren't.
嗯, 我认为许多公司都认为这是一个真正的机会, 因为他们确实相信并且我怀疑他们做得很好,但很多公司都没有。
It gives countries and companies the tools to select who they buy gas from and where that gas comes from.
它为国家和公司提供了选择向谁购买天然气以及天然气来源的工具。
For the first time they'll have the ability to make really informed decisions.
他们将第一次有能力做出真正明智的决定。
And those informed decisions will have enormous positive impact on the climate.
这些明智的决定将对气候产生巨大的积极影响。
Pop quiz, hot shot.
流行测验,热门镜头。
Which "Sesame Street" character was not in the original cast of the show's first episode?
哪个《芝麻街》角色不属于该剧第一集的原班人马?
Cookie Monster, Kermit the Frog, Grover, or Big Bird.
饼干怪物、青蛙克米特、格罗弗或大鸟。
If you said Grover, rise up.
如果你说格罗弗,那就站起来。
This character appeared later in season one as a dark green furry monster, but he was redesigned with blue fur and given his current voice and personality in the second season.
这个角色后来在第一季中以深绿色毛茸茸的怪物的形式出现,但在第二季中他被重新设计为蓝色皮毛,并赋予了他目前的声音和个性。
Our next story, we're going to focus on the economy as the White House has announced a set of measures this week to fight what they are calling "corporate rip offs."
我们的下一个故事将重点关注经济,因为白宫本周宣布了一系列措施来打击他们所谓的“企业欺诈”。
These efforts are aimed at cracking down on unfair and illegal pricing across numerous industries.
这些努力旨在打击众多行业的不公平和非法定价。
Federal regulators are also announcing rules to eliminate excessive credit card late fees and junk fees.
联邦监管机构还宣布了消除信用卡过高滞纳金和垃圾费的规则。
These are rules that the financial industry opposes, arguing they are prioritizing short-term political gain over long- term benefits of consumers.
金融业反对这些规则,认为它们将短期政治利益置于消费者的长期利益之上。
But the economy is on many people's minds and these latest efforts come as more and more people are frustrated by shrinkflation, which is when companies decrease the quantity of a product you get, say, the number of cookies you'd usually get in a box, while still keeping prices the same.
但经济问题是许多人关注的焦点, 而这些最新举措的出台正值越来越多的人对紧缩通货膨胀感到沮丧之际,即公司减少您获得的产品数量,例如,您通常在盒子里获得的饼干数量, 同时仍保持价格不变。
It's become so prevalent that even Sesame Street's Cookie Monster posted about it, complaining about how egregious the business practice has become.
它变得如此普遍, 甚至芝麻街的饼干怪兽也发布了它,抱怨商业行为变得多么令人震惊。
So why is shrinkflation resonating in public discourse?
那么为什么紧缩通货膨胀会在公众讨论中引起共鸣呢?
CNN's Vanessa Yurkevich and Sara Sidner serve up some potential answers to Cookie Monster's frustrations.
美国有线电视新闻网 (CNN) 的凡妮莎·尤尔科维奇 (Vanessa Yurkevich) 和萨拉·西德纳 (Sara Sidner) 为饼干怪物的挫败感提供了一些可能的答案。
Do not mess with Cookie Monster's cookies, but a lot of Americans agree.
不要乱吃Cookie Monster的饼干,但很多美国人都同意。
He's talking about something called shrinkflation.
他正在谈论一种叫做"收缩膨胀"(shrinkflation)的东西。
And this is what we see when corporations shrink the product size to avoid raising prices further.
这就是我们在企业缩小产品规模以避免进一步提高价格时所看到的情况。
Research has indicated that consumers are actually more OK with smaller products than higher prices.
研究表明,与价格较高的产品相比,消费者实际上更愿意接受较小的产品。
But essentially if you look at cookie prices over the past two years or so for about a pound of cookies, you see that the price started about $3.70 for a pound.
但本质上, 如果您查看过去两年左右的一磅饼干的价格,您会发现每磅的起价约为 3.70 美元。
It's all the way up to $5.02 a pound.
一直涨到每磅 5.02 美元。
And in the last year, according to a study by Senator Bob Casey in just the last year, we've seen cookie products shrink by 6%.
去年, 根据参议员鲍勃·凯西 (Bob Casey) 的一项研究,我们看到饼干产品萎缩了 6%。
And so you have everyone now jumping on this conversation with Cookie Monster, who said, "me hate shrinkflation. Me cookies are getting smaller."
所以现在每个人都开始与饼干怪物进行对话,他说:“我讨厌收缩通货膨胀。我的饼干越来越小。”
You have President Biden who actually -- the White House retweeting about this chiming in saying C is for consumers getting ripped off.
拜登总统实际上——白宫转发了关于这一点的推文,说 C 是为了让消费者被骗。
You have everyone from Sherrod Brown from Ohio saying that his constituents are absolutely sick of shrinkflation.
来自俄亥俄州的谢罗德·布朗的每个人都说他的选民绝对厌倦了收缩通货膨胀。
And you have Elizabeth Warren and you have Bob Casey saying that they actually have a bill for this.
伊丽莎白·沃伦(Elizabeth Warren)和鲍勃·凯西(Bob Casey)说他们实际上为此制定了法案。
They want the FTC to crack down on corporations that are shrinking their products while keeping prices the same, if not higher surprising fact, that paper goods has actually seen the biggest shrink inflation in the last few years.
他们希望联邦贸易委员会打击那些在保持价格不变的情况下缩小产品规模的公司,即使不是更高, 令人惊讶的事实是, 纸制品实际上经历了过去几年来最大的收缩通胀。
And you also have the worry about something called greedflation.
而且你还担心一种叫做贪婪通货膨胀的东西。
This is essentially when corporations, they see prices softening on some of their products.
这本质上是当企业看到某些产品的价格疲软时。
But still keep the product smaller.
但仍保持产品较小。
And that is what we do not want to see.
而这正是我们不想看到的。
We want to see corporations keeping up with changing prices.
我们希望看到企业跟上价格变化的步伐。
That's probably a tweet best left for Oscar The Grouch, instead of Cookie Monster.
这条推文可能最好留给爱发牢骚的奥斯卡,而不是饼干怪物。
I was wondering when he was going to weigh in.
我想知道他什么时候称重。
He might weigh in soon.
他可能很快就会称重。
But you clearly have, even though he's a Sesame Street character, Cookie Monster, really tapping into something that many Americans are seeing and feeling right now.
但显然,尽管他是《芝麻街》中的角色“饼干怪物”,但他确实利用了许多美国人现在所看到和感受到的东西。
For today's story getting a 10 outs 10, a new take on an age-old question.
今天的故事得到 10 出 10,这是对一个古老问题的新看法。
Why did the chicken cross the road?
为什么鸡要过马路?
This time, it's a goat.
这次,是一只山羊。
Actually, a lot of them.
事实上,有很多。
Our Jeremy Roth shows us the gallivanting barn animals that went on an egregious journey.
我们的杰里米·罗斯向我们展示了那些嬉戏的谷仓动物,它们经历了一段令人震惊的旅程。
Here's some crazy caught on cam video captured in Texas after a herd of goats got loose and then got moving.
这是在德克萨斯州拍摄的一些疯狂的视频,当时一群山羊逃脱并开始移动。
Go, goats.
走吧,山羊们。
Go.
去。
You know, I feel like this story deserves the old pun-o-meter, don't you.
你知道,我觉得这个故事值得用古老的双关语来形容,不是吗?
I know what you're thinking.
我知道你在想什么。
You've "goat" to be kidding me.
你真是“山羊”在跟我开玩笑。
OK, here we go.
好的,我们开始吧。
After the herd, which was hired to clear weeds, went on the lamb, Arlington Police responded and weren't sheepish.
在被雇来清除杂草的羊群继续上羊羔后,阿灵顿警方做出了回应,并没有感到羞怯。
Instead taking the bull by the horns and rounding up the roving silly billies without further incidents.
相反,我们会勇敢地围捕那些四处游荡的愚蠢比利犬,而没有发生进一步的事件。
They didn't even have to use their battering ram.
他们甚至不需要使用攻城槌。
You "herd" it here first.
你先把它“赶”到这里。
5, 6, 7 -- 7 puns.
5、6、7——7 个双关语。
Not bad.
不错。
That counts, too, by the way.
顺便说一句,这也很重要。
You're a bad man, Jeremy Roth.
你是个坏人,杰里米·罗斯。
That was absolutely "punderful."
这绝对是“重磅”。
Hey Mrs. Taylor's at Ascend Leadership Academy in Sanford, North Carolina, you are today's #YourWordWednesday winner for egregious, an adjective, meaning outstandingly bad, shocking, or flagrant.
嘿,北卡罗来纳州桑福德市泰勒夫人的班级,您是今天#YourWordWednesday 的获奖者, 因为“egregious”是一个形容词, 意思是非常糟糕、令人震惊或公然。
Our Kat Jennings loves this word so much.
我们的凯特·詹宁斯非常喜欢这个词。
He put it into this show three times today.
今天他在这个节目中三度提到了这一点。
Well done.
干得好。
All right, we are showing some love today, Keen Middle School in Keen New Hampshire.
好吧,我们今天要表达一些爱,新罕布什尔州基恩的基恩中学。
Shout out to the Cardinals, go on and dust your feathers off.
向红雀队大声喊叫,继续掸掉你的羽毛。
You're looking so fresh and so keen, keen.
你看起来那么新鲜、那么热切、那么热衷。
See you tomorrow lovely people.
明天见,可爱的人们。
I'm Coy Wire.
我是科伊·电线。