视频加载中...Hey everyone, and welcome to TopThink.
大家好,欢迎收看《生活中的科学》。
Today, we will learn about 10 bad habits that damage your brain.
今天,我们将来了解 10 个有损大脑的坏习惯。
Now, let's begin.
现在,我们开始吧。
Our brains are remarkably complex organs, composed of billions of interconnected neurons that allow us to perceive the world around us, think critically, experience emotions, and form memories.
人类大脑是非常复杂的器官,由数十亿个相互连接的神经元组成,这些神经元让我们能够感知周围的世界、进行批判性思考、体验情感并形成记忆。
Yet as sophisticated as the brain is, it is also vulnerable to gradual damage from unhealthy lifestyle choices.
然而,尽管大脑精细复杂,却也很容易因选择不健康的生活方式而逐渐受损。
Many common habits that you mindlessly repeat can slowly impact the structure and function of your brain over months and years.
你无意识重复的许多常见习惯会在数月甚至数年内慢慢影响大脑的结构和功能。
Maybe you spend way too much time scrolling on your phone, or maybe you eat too much junk food.
也许是在手机冲浪上花费大量时间,也许是食用太多垃圾食品。
You're probably aware of these things, but choosing to ignore them anyway.
对此,你可能有所意识,但还是选择了忽视。
While these kinds of habits may seem innocent, they can seriously damage your brain over time.
虽然这些习惯看似无害,但久而久之会严重损害大脑。
Poor habits corrode the brain's physical makeup, impair chemical signaling, increase inflammation, introduce toxins, and weaken connections among neurons.
不良习惯会腐蚀大脑的物理结构,损害化学信号传递,增加炎症,引入毒素,削弱神经元之间的连接。
The results can be devastating for you.
其结果可能会给你带来毁灭性的打击。
You'll have difficulty retaining information, learning new skills, concentrating for lengthy periods, regulating emotions and more.
你将在记忆信息、学习新技能、长时间集中注意力、调节情绪等方面出现困难。
You won't feel as smart. You won't be as articulate.
你感觉自己没有那么聪明了,表达能力也下降了。
You essentially lose your full mental capabilities long before reaching old age.
差不多就是早在进入老年前,失去了全部的智力。
Fortunately, the brain also has a remarkable capacity to heal and adapt when given the proper care and resources.
幸而只要给予大脑适当的护理和资源,也可以拥有非凡的愈合力和适应力。
By cultivating more nourishing daily habits and avoiding exposures toxic to neural tissues, you can strengthen your cognitive reserves and safeguard your faculties well into the future.
通过培养更有营养的日常生活习惯、避免接触对神经组织有毒的物质,可以加强认知储备,提供未来保护。
Staying physically, socially and intellectually active also stimulates beneficial neuroplastic changes — even in mature brains.
保持身体、社交和智力方面的活跃,也会刺激有益神经可塑性变化——即便是成年大脑。
So if you think it's too late to make a change, you're just dead wrong.
如果你认为现在做出改变为时已晚,那就大错特错了。
Our daily decisions and routines play a pivotal role in either protecting or slowly damaging delicate neural networks and anatomy.
我们的日常决策、生活习惯在保护或缓慢破坏脆弱的神经网络和解剖结构方面起着至关重要的作用。
Through increased self-awareness and commitment to better lifestyle choices, you have the power to defend your brain against decline.
提高自我意识、追求选择更好的生活方式,你就有能力保护大脑,防止它衰退。
No more walking into a room and forgetting why you went there.
不会再进了房间却忘了事儿。
No more forgetting where you put your keys or your wallet.
不会再忘了钥匙钱包放在哪里。
You can feel sharp again. You can feel smart again.
感觉又恢复了敏锐、聪慧。
But it will take time and commitment.
只是这需要时间和决心。
So without further ado, let's discover 10 bad habits that damage your brain — and exactly how to fight against them.
话不多说,我们一起来了解伤害大脑的 10 个坏习惯,以及如何与它们作斗争。
1. Doom Scrolling As society has become more technologically advanced and interconnected, it's also become increasingly normal to spend more and more time in front of your phone.
1. 盲目刷屏随着社会科技越来越发达,人与人之间的联系越来越紧密,在手机前花费越来越多的时间也变得越来越正常。
You text your friends, you check social media, and you watch 10 second videos in the bathroom stall.
给朋友发信息,浏览社交媒体,上卫生间时候刷短视频。
You probably spend hours every day staring at your phone, sometimes unaware of how much time it's taking up.
每天用在手机上的时间要花几个小时,有时甚至都没意识到时间的流逝。
Excessive screen time overstimulates the brain's reward pathways for immediate satisfaction, while diminishing activity in the prefrontal cortex that handles complex thoughts and impulse control.
看屏幕时间过多会过度刺激大脑的奖赏回路,获得即时满足感,同时减少处理复杂想法和控制冲动的前额叶皮层的活动。
These little hits of dopamine keep you addicted to your phone, and train your brain to hate any activity that doesn't provide instant gratification.
这些微量的多巴胺让你沉迷于手机,并训练大脑对不能提供即时满足感的活动进行排斥。
As a result, people develop clinical-level anxiety, depression, and attention related disorders.
因此,人们会出现临床水平的焦虑、抑郁和注意力相关障碍。
You may have been hard-working and disciplined in the past, but if you spend too much time with your phone, your mental strength will slowly dissolve into nothing.
也许你过去一直勤奋努力、严于律己,但如果你刷手机时间过长,精神毅力就会逐渐消失殆尽。
So, set reasonable limits for yourself on daily scrolling, gaming, streaming and surfing time to support a healthy, engaged brain.
因此,为了健康、活跃的大脑,请合理限制自己每天刷屏、游戏、短视频和网上冲浪的时间。
2. Psychosocial Isolation A large body of research suggests that lonely people's brains deteriorate faster than average.
2. 心理社会隔离大量研究表明,孤独的人大脑退化的速度比一般人快。
With less social engagement, your hippocampus ages faster, and as a result your memory gets worse.
社交活动越少,海马体衰老得越快,记忆力也会因此变差。
Elderly people short on social ties exhibit warning signs of dementia, including rapid memory loss and problems processing, learning and recognizing novel information.
缺乏社交联系的老年人会表现出痴呆症的预警信号,出现记忆力迅速衰退,处理、学习和识别新信息障碍的问题。
Furthermore, when you don't socialize as much, your brain produces less oxytocin, making you less happy and engaged with the world.
此外,如果不经常社交,大脑分泌的催产素就会减少,从而让人感觉不那么快乐,与世界格格不入。
So schedule regular socializing, join group activities and cultivate meaningful bonds with others to stimulate your brain.
因此,定期安排社交活动,参加集体活动,与他人建立有意义的联系,以刺激大脑。
3. The Lazy Heart Everyone knows exercise is important to maintain your figure, lose weight, and stay strong.
3. 懒惰的心每个人都知道运动对于保持身材、减肥和强身健体的重要性。
But did you know it's a key ingredient for sustaining a healthy brain?
但你知道运动是保持大脑健康的关键因素吗?
Exercise acts like a magic pill for the brain.
运动就像大脑的灵丹妙药。
It boosts blood and oxygen flow, triggering the release of key chemicals and growth factors like brain-derived neurotrophic factor, also known as BDNF.
它能促进血液和氧气的流动,触发关键化学物质和生长因子的释放,如脑源性神经营养因子,也被称为 BDNF。
Plus, it stimulates the creation of new neurons.
此外,运动还能刺激新神经元的产生。
But if you fail to exercise regularly, your brain starts to slow down.
但如果不经常锻炼,大脑就会开始变得迟钝。
Remember, an active heart means a healthy brain.
记住,活跃的心脏意味着健康的大脑。
And a lazy heart means a weak brain.
迟缓的心脏则意味着羸弱的大脑。
4. Stress Spirals While occasional short-term stress provides stimulation for the brain, chronic and prolonged stress has very damaging neurological effects over time.
4. 螺旋式压力虽然偶尔的短期压力能刺激大脑,但长期的慢性压力会对神经系统造成极大的伤害。
Stress floods the brain with hormones like cortisol and adrenaline, which impair communication between brain cells and shrink parts of the brain involved in memory, like the prefrontal cortex and hippocampus.
压力会使大脑充满皮质醇和肾上腺素等激素,这些激素会破坏脑细胞之间的交流,并使大脑中与记忆有关的部分(如前额皮质和海马体)萎缩。
Chronic stress also suppresses the birth of new neurons in the hippocampus, which is essential for learning and building new memories.
慢性压力还会抑制海马体中新神经元的生成,而海马体对于学习和建立新记忆至关重要。
Luckily, there are lots of healthy ways to relieve stress.
幸运的是,有很多健康的方法可以缓解压力。
The most important thing is finding something that works for you.
最重要的是找到适合自己的方法。
So try things like exercise, meditation, or a relaxing hobby like doodling.
因此,可以尝试运动、冥想或涂鸦等放松的爱好。
The evidence suggests that simple activities like these have a surprisingly positive effect on the health of your brain, defending it from long-term damage.
有证据表明,这些简单的活动对大脑健康有惊人的积极作用,可以保护大脑免受长期损害。
5. Sleep Isn't For The Weak Chronic sleep deprivation and poor sleep quality destroy the brain's ability to function optimally.
5. 不是弱者才睡觉长期睡眠不足和睡眠质量差会破坏大脑发挥最佳功能的能力。
While asleep, the brain consolidates memories, clears out toxins, and repairs neuronal damage.
睡眠时,大脑会巩固记忆、清除毒素并修复神经元损伤。
But when we fail to get adequate, restful sleep, these restorative processes cannot occur properly.
但是,如果我们无法获得充足、安稳的睡眠,这些修复过程就无法正常进行。
As a result, your focus and concentration suffer.
因此,你的注意力和集中力就会受到影响。
You'll have greater difficulty retaining information.
记住信息对你来说会难上加难。
And over the long-term, your risk of developing Alzheimer's goes way up.
长此以往,患老年痴呆症的风险就会大大增加。
Research suggests there are a few critical habits to ensure you get good sleep.
研究表明,几个重要习惯就可以确保获得良好的睡眠。
Keep regular hours, and get at least eight hours each night.
保持规律的作息时间,每晚至少睡 8 小时。
Plus, be sure to avoid activities like doom scrolling before bed.
此外,一定要避免睡前刷手机屏。
6. Mental Laziness Failing to give your brain adequate mental stimulation is like allowing your muscles to become weak from inactivity.
6. 精神懒惰不给大脑足够的精神刺激,就像让肌肉因缺乏活动而变得虚弱一样。
The brain requires regular challenges and learning in order to maintain neural networks and cognitive abilities.
大脑需要定期挑战和学习,以维持神经网络和认知能力。
When the brain goes unused for long periods, its ability to think and remember will gradually decline.
如果大脑长期处于闲置状态,其思考和记忆能力就会逐渐下降。
Activities that stimulate the brain include learning new skills, reading, doing puzzles, playing strategy games, and engaging in thoughtful conversations.
能够刺激大脑的活动包括学习新技能、阅读、解谜、玩策略游戏以及进行深思熟虑的对话。
Make it a priority to incorporate mentally engaging activities into your daily routine to keep your brain flexible and powerful.
在日常工作中优先考虑开展有益于智力的活动,以保持大脑的灵活性和强大功能。
7. Hidden Resentments Are you the kind of person who bottles things up?
7. 隐藏怨恨你会把事情闷在心里吗?
When someone makes you angry, do you seek them out to discuss it further, and achieve a resolution?
当有人惹你生气时,你会找他进一步讨论,并解决问题吗?
Or do you bury it, hoping you'll just forget and move on.
还是把它埋在心底,希望自己忘却,然后继续生活。
We often bury our resentments out of convenience.
我们常常出于方便而将怨恨埋藏起来。
Someone makes you angry, and it feels like too much work to confront them about it, or at least tell them the truth.
有人让你生气了,你觉得和他们对质,或者至少告诉他们真相,又觉得太麻烦了。
So you stuff it deep down into your subconscious mind.
于是,你就把它深深地埋在潜意识里。
Whether you realize it or not, these kinds of hidden resentments build up with time, creating fear, anger, and paranoia about other people.
不管你是否意识到,这些隐藏的怨恨会随着时间的推移而积累,产生对他人的恐惧、愤怒和偏执。
These emotions are toxic to the brain in high quantities, releasing stress hormones that eat way at your mental capacity over time.
这些情绪会大量毒害大脑,释放压力激素,久而久之会侵蚀你的心理承受能力。
8. Deadly Diet Do you enjoy junk food?
8. 有害饮食你喜欢吃垃圾食品吗?
Maybe you frequently go to fast food restaurants or snack on lots of packaged goods.
也许你经常去快餐店或吃大量包装食品。
These mass-produced products may taste good, but they can be deadly for your brain.
这些批量生产的产品可能味道不错,但对大脑来说却是致命的。
Just like every other organ and tissue in the body, the brain depends on key nutrients to function in a healthy way.
就像身体中的其他器官和组织一样,大脑的健康运作也依赖于关键的营养物质。
The most important nutrients for the brain include omega-3 fatty acids, B vitamins, antioxidants, and amino acids.
大脑最重要的营养素包括欧米伽-3 脂肪酸、B 族维生素、抗氧化剂和氨基酸。
These key ingredients prevent damaging inflammation and enhance communication between different parts of your brain.
这些关键成分能防止破坏性炎症,并加强大脑各部分之间的交流。
But without them, you leave the brain vulnerable to cognitive decline.
但如果没有这些成分,大脑就很容易出现认知功能衰退。
Eating a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and fatty fish provides the brain essential compounds needed for it to operate at full capacity.
多吃水果、蔬菜、坚果、种子和多脂鱼类,可为大脑提供所需的必需化合物,使其充分发挥作用。
9. Water is Life Most people don't know this, but being even mildly dehydrated causes significant changes in brain function.
9. 水就是生命大多数人都不知道,但即使是轻度脱水也会导致大脑功能发生显著变化。
When the body lacks sufficient water, brain cells and neurons shrink and biochemical processes involved in cellular communication slow down.
当人体缺乏大量的水分,脑细胞和神经元就会萎缩,参与细胞交流的生化过程也会减慢。
Resulting symptoms including poor concentration, headaches, fatigue, irritability and reduced short-term memory.
由此导致的症状包括注意力不集中、头痛、疲劳、易怒和短期记忆力减退。
Over time, chronic dehydration puts major strains on the brain's ability to think clearly.
随着时间的推移,长期脱水会对大脑清晰思考的能力造成重大影响。
Thus, your intelligence goes way down.
因此,智力会大大下降。
So, aim to drink at least 8 cups of water daily, and more if you exercise intensely or live in a hot climate.
因此,每天至少要喝 8 杯水,如果剧烈运动或生活在炎热的气候中,则要喝更多水。
Keeping the brain well hydrated sustains energy levels, keeps you focused, and supports signaling between neurons.
保持大脑充足的水分可以维持能量水平,让你保持专注,并支持神经元之间的信号传递。
There's nothing more important than water, yet so many people are chronically dehydrated.
没有什么比水更重要了,但很多人却长期缺水。
So, make it a priority to not be one of those people.
首先要考虑,不要成为这样的人。
10. Exposure to Heavy Metals Have you heard about heavy metals?
10. 接触重金属你听说过重金属吗?
And I'm not talking about the musical genre.
我说的可不是音乐类型。
Environmental exposure to lead, mercury, aluminum and arsenic harms neurological health.
暴露在铅、汞、铝和砷的环境中,会损害神经系统健康。
Lead adheres firmly to neuron structures while mercury accumulates in neural tissue, causing each metal to directly damage dendrites, synapses and nerve cells through oxidative stress.
铅会牢牢地附着在神经元结构上,而汞则会在神经组织中积聚,通过氧化应激使每种金属直接损害树突、突触和神经细胞。
Brain areas essential for focus, impulse control and mood regulation are especially vulnerable to slow and steady heavy metal exposure.
大脑中对注意力、冲动控制和情绪调节至关重要的区域特别容易受到缓慢而稳定的重金属暴露的影响。
The results can include reduced scoring on IQ tests, depression, aggressive behavior, headaches and deficits in fine motor control.
其结果可能包括智商测试得分下降、抑郁、攻击行为、头痛和精细动作控制缺陷。
This can accrue over decades as metals subtly build up in the nervous system.
随着金属在神经系统中的潜移默化积累,这种情况可能会持续数十年。
Minimize exposure by avoiding lead paint dust, filtering tap water, and buying cosmetics labeled lead- and mercury-free.
避免接触到那些含铅油漆的粉尘、过滤后的自来水,购买标有无铅和无汞的化妆品,从而最大限度地减少接触铅的机会。
Thank you for watching TopThink and be sure to subscribe because more incredible content is on the way.
感谢收看,记得订阅频道,更多精彩内容马上就到!